Roo not feeling well w/pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaches Lee, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 13 wk old EE roo that I noticed is not feeling well this a.m. He stays with his flock but whenever he gets with them he will hunch and close one eye. His legs also seem a bit weak and wobbly. During the day the flock free-ranges about my farm and the only feed change is that I gave them Grower-Cal pellet instead of Grower-Cal Mash last night.

This roo has toes that curl in and his gait is kind of got a hitch to it, so I'm not sure if he's just a messed up chicken or what. He is unable to fly up like the others do and get out of their coop.

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Poor guy. I'm gonna ask all the obvious questions- so please bear with me. How long has he had these symptoms? Have you checked him over for injuries/external parasites? How does his poop look? Since he has a leg problem I would check his legs and feet over real well. Maybe also check under and around his wings for injuries. Have you given any vitamins/ poly-vi-sol? Sorry about all the questions but with a little more information it will be a little easier to narrow down what's going on with him [​IMG] He's very beautiful-gorgeous feathers. Hope he's feeling better soon!

3. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Hello and thank you for the response.

I noticed the symptoms this morning around 8:30. They came on very acutely. I did a brief feel of his body and did not feel anything unusual, but he was a little unhappy about it, and I didn't want to stress him a lot--I will check again for external parasites. His flock is all very healthy and active.

His poop looked greenish-brown w/white, to me it looked like a normal free-range chicken poop.

I did not give him anything because I am new to this and didn't want to mess anything up, I was thinking of giving him some sugar water.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but awhile back I had a dog attack that took 6 of his flock mates. I thought maybe he might have been bit, but was so traumatized didn't really look him over good, just enough to realize he had no dripping blood and no significant amount of feathers missing. It seems as though after the attack is when his toes began to curl in when he walked.

Anyway, thank you for replying!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I went out and checked on him again and didn't notice any injuries or parasites. He talks to me when I came to him and he will walk around. I tried to place him on a haybale so he would be elevated, and his feet were cold, but he jumped down. His comb color is good. He is still not feeling well.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can get him to drink, you can try some apple juice or gatorade/powerade in the water. [​IMG] Hope your guy feels better. Sometimes these things will go as quickly as they came.

6. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Just giving an update about my roo. He seems to have snapped out of it and is back to being his normal, cute self. I believe I have figured out what happened. I think he tried to get up with the other birds and wasn't able to and fell and hurt himself. Anyway, thanks so much for your input. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by