1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or dominant hen? BREED!???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlovepj1027, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    I was told this was a 3-1/2 - 4 month old Orpington from a person who had quite a few hens and roosters, one being a white Americauna rooster . I later purchased a five month old mottled Americauna from a reputable breeder whom stated it did not meet the breed standards so she let me have her less cost since I just want the eggs, I'm not a breeder and cannot have roosters. I see some Americauna in the Orp. (Purchased from different breeders)
    Well the "younger Orpington" is not only mounting the one month older mottle Americauna but the Orp is also twice her size. She also has a beard and pea comb which I don't believe orpingtons should have. PLEASE any suggestions on gender AND breed would be greatly appreciated! The Orp does have some black Orp colored feathers but that's about it! And it does not crow!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    It's definatly not a black Orpington
    Maybe it's a black americauna?

1 person likes this.
  3. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    That's what I'm thinking! And not a Roo right? Because she keeps mounting the little one I have that IS an Americauna.

4. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    [​IMG]
    Here is another photo.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  6. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I think it looks like a hen

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Black Ameraucana pullet

1 person likes this.
  8. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Sometimes in an all female flock a hen shows this kind of rooster behavior. I'm not allowed roosters so I've experienced it first hand. I've even have a hen that tries to crow!! :confused: crazy birds!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Thank you. We aren't allowed Roos either. However we ended up with one I was just able to sell in the nick of time, he started crowing all night long. With how he snuck into the flock and the only thing I've seen mount any of my hens, I was just very worried if somehow another snuck in. especially if the breeder already thinks that she's also a purebred orpington lol!

10. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    You are welcome!! I know I'm not the only one who runs outside trying to hush the offender!, I even had someone call animal control and they came out and counted my hens! I was 3 over the limit and he never came back to check!! Got to love the chicken math!! :barnie. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by