Roo? Or freaky hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sparkles2307, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

The neighbors have this, thing, running around their yard. I got a good look at it, it has roo feathers and just looks like a roo, but with a hen head, and it gets mounted but never mounts, and never crows. What is it!?!
    [​IMG]

2. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Looks like a young rooster (a cockerel). How old is it?

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Roo! I have 2 roo's in my yard that are the same age. One crows, mounts and does all the roo noises they other does not

4. sparkles2307

Its about 5 months old

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a total roo to me. I think its bizarre that he allows the other roos to mount him though. That brings up the question of "is it a choice or are they born that way?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. sparkles2307

There are about 7 roos (these ppl tell me "no, those are hens" when its in the middle of crowing for god's sake) and 12 hens, its pretty competitive over there, this roo actually let the big RIR roo mount him and then cowered in the corner for like, 5 minutes afterward....it reminded me of a prison shower or something...

7. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I would bet a weeks pay that it's a Barred Rock roo. I feel sorry for the little guy. If he doesn't "man up" to that RIR roo soon he will live out his life walking around like a fat penguin.

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Looks like a Black Sexlink cockerel to me..

9. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Black Sex-links have black shanks...this little guy has yellow like a BR.

10. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a young roo to me. My 18 week old roos aren't crowing yet. My button males mounted the new males when they first were introduced. I swore my male was a female. [​IMG] (until he finally started doing some mounting himself)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by