1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Hen? 8 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gaitanm24, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gaitanm24

gaitanm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like a pullet to me. The red bird behind it looks male.

3. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

Well, here is why I am confused...we have a white leghorn roo who developed quite quickly and a hen. In the morning, he has begun to cockadoodledoo and this one will do it right after him! Also, the comb is larger than another I believe is a hen but smaller than another 2 of the same breed that I believe are Roos. I'm so confused! As soon as I say roo, I talk myself out of it!

Oh yes, I'm pretty confident on the red one! I probably have around 6 Roos out of 14.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. likkatron

likkatron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    It's a rooster. Combs should not have any color (pink or red included )until they are about ready to lay, which won't be for a few more months. I can't say for sure 100%, because chickens like to be tricky, just watch for key signs like sickle and hackle feathers, crowing (obviously), and Spurs.
    My hens are just now getting color and they're 6 months old!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, if it's honestly crowing, then it's male. I expected more comb and color for the age, and those legs are nice and thin, but he could just be a slow developer.

6. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

Lol, I know! I've been warned that hens crow on occasion! This one is on the line and I can't seem to make up my mind! I wish it were easy! This morning IT echoed back and forth with my white leghorn roo.

7. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    [​IMG]

Another one during free range this evening. He was quite the crower this morning! Many are still saying hen?! (8week buff Orpington)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by