Roo or hen and bare neck?

DaniGirl 1272

Chirping
Jun 26, 2015
My Black Australorp chicks are about 5 weeks now and i'm a little worried that my one might be a roo. Also whats up with the bald neck and even under the wings there's no feathers. My other one isnt nearly as bad.

Well the comb does not look like a rooster but I am guessing that it is, because you said that the feathers weren't coming in under the wings? Well hens and roosters feather out differently and Roos tend to not get feathers under their wings until they are quite a bit older,

I know roo's tend to feather slowly and i'm so upset because I don't want to have to rehome if it is a roo, it will break my heart. This one is big compared to the other one too and acts completely different I don't know if that means anything or not? Very afraid of everything and hides under me or the other one with every little noise it hears, but sweet as can be. I am so disappointed I could cry.

I really took a good look and theres not only feather loss on my chicks neck and under the wings but on the outside of her but too ?? The other one has loss under the wings as well not nearly as bad. I checked for mites and lice and see nothing. They are very flaky though. My chicks last year were Buff Orps so they were so light I dont know if they were like this too but i missed it ?? I really dont think so. Is this common or is there something I can do? I only have these two and they scare so easily compared to my 4 girls last year.

Back
Top Bottom