1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen and what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by accidentalpoet4u, Aug 16, 2008.

1. accidentalpoet4u

accidentalpoet4u New Egg

Jun 26, 2008
    Ok, I'm new at this chicken owner thing. I have my first chickens about a month now 2 females about 4 months old now. Things are going great and I found a post on freecycle here in ABQ for a 1 year old hen who supposedly was a great egg layer. So I went to pick him/her up and immediately thought it looked like a roo. But since it was obvious that this chicken wasn't being cared for, I went ahead and took it. It's been about a week now, doesn't show any interest in the girls except to chase them away from the food. It's also a lot louder than the girls, but it doesn't sound like I had expected a roo to sound. So I'm looking for what everyone thinks. Roo, pullet? Any guesses on breed?

[​IMG]

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Production red hen. Looks like she's been laying a while too. The legs are bleached out.

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I agree with Janet. Looks like she's more than a year old too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by