1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Hen? EE or Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by busybeelee, Nov 9, 2010.

1. busybeelee

busybeelee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Vancouver WA
    I am new to chickens. I am a little worried that my lady here might not be a lady at all! Can you tell me what you think? Also, she was sold to me as an Ameraucana. After looking at so many posts about Ameraucanas, I am thinking maybe she is not.

Can you give me your opinion and let me know what about her brings you to your conclusion? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She is a He... and he is an EE. Very pretty though love the his coloring. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Egger and a cockerel. Girls cannot come in that color pattern, and he's certainly got a boy tail, boy wings, and a reddening comb. [​IMG]

Ameraucanas can only come in so many colors, and they cannot have green legs.

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Yep. You have a nice looking EE boy there.

5. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Roo would be my guess too. Very pretty. I would love to have him (or a double of him), but Hubby has vetoed the possibility of having a roo. Hubby is a night owl and I'm a morning lark. [​IMG] I would love to see what kind of babies he and Georgia and Martha would make... [​IMG] But his tailfeathers look more roo and also his legs/abdomen. I'm guessing no crow yet? How old? I don't know about EE/Ameraucana/cross colored Ameraucana S/he looks much like my EEs - and they are gorgeous IMO as well. I'd say he is definately a keeper and not soup (unless his disposition turns ugly).

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, those long pointy hackle feathers (on the neck) say it all.... Roo. Sorry. He is quite a lovely EE boy though.

7. busybeelee

busybeelee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Vancouver WA
    No crow yet. A friend of mine had a chick from the same shipment and he started crowing on Sunday. Her bird has always seemed a bit more mature than mine so I have been crossing my fingers. The tail feathers were what was bothering me.

I would love to keep him. We are not supposed to have roosters although I know at least one of our neighbors does and no one has given them any problems. I am so attached to him already!

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Where are you from? We aren't allowed chickens at all... [​IMG] If someone complains just let someone borrow him for a bit and bring him back. [​IMG] And not all roosters crow... wouldn't that be PERFECT!

9. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    roo

10. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Sorry but it's a roo [​IMG]

He's really purrty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by