Roo or Hen EE

NickiJ

In the Brooder
May 28, 2017
Need help identifying if 2 of my EE's are roos or hens... I'm thinking roo (especially the 1st) but ??
20170528_231337.jpg
20170528_231200.jpg

Ok thanks! I think they are getting pretty close to 4 weeks, I'll keep an eye out for changes.

Is attitude a good way to tell generally? The first is kind of an a**hole to the others.

No. Pullets can be just as snotty as males...males just seem to do it a bit more often.

And I don't think those look 4 weeks in the photos...although my eye is currently skewed as I'm dealing with broody hatched chicks which mature much faster than brooder chicks.

Generally show full side profile and then head shot at 6 weeks of age....or at least when the juvenile feathers are pretty well in. You can tell a lot by the pattern in EE's. Males will have block coloring while the females will have even patterning (think quilt vs. kaleidoscope).

If red bars show up on the wing bows, male. If really red fleshy comb appears before about 18 weeks, male (in EE's as they tend to mature a bit more slowly).

LofMc

Is attitude a good way to tell generally? The first is kind of an a**hole to the others.
Personality is not really a reliable characteristic for gender determination. The pictures that I can see (two, the first is a red x) are not showing obvious cockerel signs yet (some very loud/proud males do show this early), but as the birds are young that can change.

Back
Top Bottom