Roo or Hen? Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChknObssd, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ChknObssd

ChknObssd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    First, let me say I am completely new to the wonderful world of Chickens! I recently was blessed to acquire 4 chicks at the end of July. I have one RIR, one Buff, and one Barred. I just lost an Ameracauna last night to a stupid snake. :( It was horrifying to walk up to chat with my girls and see her being strangled. I thought that they were secure but found a spot that it got in at.

Ive been very curious as to the gender of at least 2 of my chickens. My Barred and my RIR. These two have been "fighting" or barging each other alot. But I noticed that my buff is starting to participate in this as well, though not as much. Now, I figure this is just the pecking order status being established, however my Barred has been alot slower in feather development and has a rather red comb developing. My RIR has a pink comb but was the first to get feathers. Any thoughts on what you think they are? Really worried that I might have two roos and one hen!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your thoughts!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Barred Rock is definitely a rooster. Barre Rock roosters are always light in color, like yours (females would be a darker shade), and your bird's comb is large for its age. As for your Rhode Island Red, I'm going with rooster for him too. Though not as large as the Barred Rocks, his comb is quite large. How old are they?

3. ChknObssd

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    They are 3-4 weeks old. I was pretty sure the BR was a roo, but I was really hoping that my RIR wasnt at least. :(

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    BR is 10000% rooster. RIR is most likely a roo too.

5. ChknObssd

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    What are the thoughts on keeping both roos? Would it be bad for my one lonely hen? Can I get more chickens and add them in or is going to be risking the new chicks bc of pecking order?

6. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    You should not keep two roosters with a hen. Ideally, you want to have 8-10 hens per rooster. Otherwise, the hens can get pretty torn up with the roosters mounting her constantly.

It is possible to add more chickens. Get some about the same age, or a little older. Make sure to quarantine them, or at least watch for signs of disease carefully.

7. ChknObssd

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    Thank you! I was hoping that since they are still young if I found some as close to their age as possible it would be okay. I dont know how im going to part with one of the roos.

8. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    If you're going to keep a rooster, I'd recommend that you keep the Barred Rock. I've heard that Rhode Island Red roosters can be kind of agressive.

9. ChknObssd

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    Thanks--that would be the one I keep. I had grown rather attached to her--well him...especially. I guess my Betsey should find a new name. Both my roos though are extremely sweet and come and perch on my hand as soon as they see me. My Buff doesnt really want much to do with me. :/

10. PIGSinSPACE

PIGSinSPACE New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Corning, California
    It seems a bit early to tell. Roosters tend to grow faster, their feet, especially. I just raised my first flock from chicks, I dont know exactly when I was sure of what ones were roosters or hens. But when I did, I immediately moved all but one rooster to their own side of the farm. They were then taken by predators. (we have a family of foxes who live on the farm who take the jackrabbits and groundsquirrels, the foxes are a real benefit to our garden. I throw them a "bone" now and then. We have built an understanding throughout the years) Point is...you still may not know for a few weeks to a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by