1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen? Is our ChickenDuck a, <<gasp>> BOY?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Apr 6, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Our chicks are now almost 5 weeks old. There are some notable changes in them, and we THINK we are beginning to tell whos a BOY and whos a GIRL. Can you give me your expert opinions on my guesses?

"ChickenDuck".....a BOY?
    [​IMG]

"HennyPenny".....a GIRL?
    [​IMG]

"Taffy".....a BOY?
    [​IMG]

"Storm".....a BOY?
    [​IMG]

"Buzz".....a GIRL?
    [​IMG]

"Mocha".....a GIRL?
    [​IMG]

If we were right on these, we can guess from the rest of the flock. I was guessing that the ones with obvious redness to the comb and comb development were boys, whereas those without much of a comb and no coloration there were girls. Also, the boys seem much 'beefier'....they seem to have some real weight to them when you pick them up. Well....how'd we do for first time guesses?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    We had soooo hoped that ChickenDuck was a lady, thus securing his place in our flock! My daughter is upset, thinking we are going to eat him! However, even though his comb is large and red compared to some we're fairly certain are hens, his gentle nature, easy going attitude, and friendly disposition leave us confused. He's NOT outgoing or bold or brave. In fact, he's often one of the last to wander over to something new. BUT, on the other side of that coin, he doesn't startle AT ALL. Nothin spooks him! In fact, the other day I sneezed and everyone scattered....EXCEPT HIM. Can a chicken be deaf? Just a thought I had. He just sort of meanders around, willy-nilly like without a care in the world. Doesnt act very Roo-ish....hmmmm....Well, IF he is a HE and he is this mellow, I'm pretty sure he's securred his place around here! [​IMG]

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I'm definately not one to be able to tell the difference until someone is crowing. But why do you call him Chickenduck? Is that the one that MM called you about?

4. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    No we didnt use MM we used Sun Ray Chick Hatchery. And he's not the one we were called about. We call him ChickenDuck because when he was little, he looked just like a baby mallard duck! He's changed so much now though....lol [​IMG]

5. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    OKAY, call me crazy but I sware this has worked with mine! You can test it out on your dogs/ cats or any other animal if you wish but I use a needle and thread, the old fashion way,,,,don't laugh,,,,hold the thread with needle dangling down over your chicken,,,,,if it swings back and forth,,,it's a rooster,,,,if it goes in a circle,,,it's a hen! Yes, go ahead and laugh,,,,but it works!!! LOL Oh well,,,hey I tried,,,it's what I do! Just try it at least before you shoot me down already! [​IMG] Julie:D

6. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    does that realy work????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????[​IMG]

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Its hard to say but my guesses are...

#1 Roo
    #2 Pullet
    #3 Pullet
    #4 Roo
    #5 Roo
    #6 Pullet

8. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thanks for the replies. I dont usually get into the wives tales things, but I'll try the needle and string on the chicks I posted here and see what I get for results and let you know. Then in a few weeks, it will be neat to see if we were right!

9. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Quote:Funny. Because that's how to tell if you're lying to yourself.

A muscle SOMEWHERE in you is connected to your hand, and if you're lying (so far as you know), then it will either swing back and forth, or go in a circle. I forgets which is which. The thing about it is that it can be faulty, simply because your brain can be faulty.

Like if you're name is Karren, but you SWEAR to GOD that you think it's Lizzy, and say "I am Lizzy", it will move in the 'truth' direction, whichever one that is [​IMG]. Or if you don't really know that x=-b(+/-)sqrrt -b^2ab over 2a is the quadratic formula and think that it's REALLY y=mx+b, and say "The Quadratic Formula is x=-b(+/-)sqrrt -b^2ab over 2a", it'll make the motion that says you're lying.

So, how that effects chicken gender? Dunno. But try it for fun innywho [​IMG]

10. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I guess the way to tell if it really worked, or if it was actually your own hand making the needle move would be to attach the string to a fixed object hanging above each chicken. My guess would be that it wouldnt move at all...I suppose I'll just have to grit my teeth and wait another week or so. [​IMG]

BUT....when sexing chicks OF THE SAME BREED...

1) Will cockerels get the bright red in their combs first?

2) Will cockerels get a noticable comb first?

3) Do they ALL get the little bumps that will be the spurs? Because ALL of my chicks have a little bump on each leg. BUT, some of them have a larger bump....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by