Roo or Hen?? (Pictures) Somewhat Scrawny Black Sex-Link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gigi1147, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Hello Everyone, I have had my chickens for about 5 months now, and there is this tiny, skinny, light, little chicken that is just adorable. But I am unsure of its gender. It is so scrawny it seems like. It is a Black Sex-Link, named Carter. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It is a hen. A Black sex link hen. Black sex links are sexed by color...the sex determines the color.

They are a hybrid from a red based roo (often Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) and a Barred hen (often a Barred Rock).

The sex of the chicks can be determined from hatching. Males are black with a white head dot representing the barring gene and will become barred roosters. The females are all black as chicks and as they mature often get red "bleed through" such as yours shows.

She is a mature female that should be laying as that is a large red comb. As to why she is smaller...I'm not sure. Sometimes there is a "runt" in the clutch and maybe you simply got one of those. Black Sex Links are not huge birds but more of medium size anyway.

Enjoy your hen.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: She might be a banty...sort of a midget size bird. I don't think of Black Sex Links as banty's but I suppose its possible if one or both of the parents were Banty size.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Hen.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    pullet

5. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Definitely a Black Sex-Link pullet. This is what LF look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She looks pretty small but has that distinctive gold leakage, as illustrated in the birds above.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Absolutely a female, and looks like you should be getting nice brown eggs from her.

7. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Thank you! I have four other Black sex links and get about 2-3 eggs from them a day, they just started laying about three weeks ago. Thank you so very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by