roo or hen ?? RIR bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 16, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]hen 1 possible roo

[​IMG]
    hen 2- i think hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    hen 1 again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both 18 weeks old bantam RIR show quality

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee
    They both look like ladies to me.

3. cluckcluckluke

chicken one definitely has bigger comb and wattles that chicken 2 and the lady even said that it could be turning rooish.

4. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee
    I still say hen because at that age there should be a clear sign of saddle feathers if it were a roo.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At that age they're both pullets. Yeah, one can have a larger comb, but it's no where rooster size. If they're not laying yet, the one with the larger comb will probably lay first.

You didn't ask about quality but because you mention they are show quality I'm going to say.........I'm not a RIR person by any means, but I think both those birds have too much of a cochin-like tail for good RIR show birds. You might want to ask someone like NYREDS or another good Red person if you're wanting to show them. If you're not, or not looking to breed, then ignore this last bit!

6. cluckcluckluke

one is laying but i haven't been around them long enough to know who, and i was going to breed them if one was a roo but im not any more because shes not. The lady that we bought them of said they were pure bred, but i didn't mean to put show quality in there they are defiantly not show birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by