Roo or Hen silkie chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkiesRcool, Nov 24, 2016.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    I was wondering about the sex of my silkie chicks I will think I got 3 or 4 Roos but I wanted other people's input on the matter. The white pictures are also two different birds. Thank you for the help [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old are they? The second buff with the red comb looks to be a rooster, but with silkies it can be hard to tell until they get a bit older.

3. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Almost 2 months but I wasn't sure about the whites because they're getting wattles and have more comb then the partridge girl.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some silkies can take up to 4 months before you can know for sure. Wattles at 8 weeks usually means roosters, but I would wait a bit longer before guessing either way.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are extremely difficult to sex accurately before 4-5 mos. of age, or even not till they crow or lay eggs. I would wait a couple months and post new photos - if any crows in that time period - you will know you have definite roosters. It's also important to take photos of bird facing forward with crest pulled or held back to expose all of comb.

6. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank both of you I took some forward pics about a week or two ago maybe longer. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by