Roo or Hen? Silkie.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JenaRN, Apr 20, 2012.

1. JenaRN

JenaRN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio
    I bought 2 silkies that were supposed to be hens. They are not old enough to lay yet. 1 I am pretty sure if a Hen but the other one started crowing so we swapped him out for another and that one started crowing. Now we are on our third one and not sure if it's a hen or roo. What do you think? They are fighting a little bit so I wonder if they are possibly both Roo's and one just never crows? We've had her for 1 week and she has never crowed.

Here is the one we are pretty sure is a hen
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/EdenNicole1213/DSC02972.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/EdenNicole1213/DSC02971.jpg

and this is the new one that I wonder if it's a Roo

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/EdenNicole1213/DSC02968.jpg
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/EdenNicole1213/DSC02970.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. JenaRN

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio
    Sorry the pics are links, I don't know how to post them?

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    To post the pics just put around the link if you've set your preferred editor type to BB Code. Can you get pictures of the second one's face and comb?

4. JenaRN

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio
    Ok, I'll try that! I'm using Photobucket and tried the IMG one it didn't work. I'll figure it out.

I will get a pic of the suspected Roo's comb tomorrow. Or he might crow tomorrow morning and then I'll know for sure. LOL!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the hen??

[​IMG][​IMG]

the cockerel??

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ummm both appear to be cockerels the 2nd one for sure is a cockerel the 1st one looks like it has streamers as well which would mean its a cockerel. need a good side shot of the 1st one to look for the streamers

also for pics when your starting a thread or posting a reply, looking right above the box were you type there are 9 boxes with different options in it. look at the 8th box with the paper clip in it then click the first icon (looks like a pic of a house) and then just follow those directions :)

7. JenaRN

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio

Thank you so much! I also bought some Buff Orpington chicks, and the one I thought was a hen is actually sitting on them! Would a Roo do that, too? It's the same one that has never crowed. I'll get a side shot of the suspected hen's streamers tomorrow.

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if it has streamers then its a cockerel/roo as hens have smooth rounded crest (but you never know there could be that one expection)...how old are they?

if the chicks are smaller they could just be hiding underneath the silkies for warmth as my chicks would do the same thing including the cockerels

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. JenaRN

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

Is this pic good? It's chilly and rainy out today. This is the suspected rooster. S/he's snuggling with the chicks. The other one I think is a hen will actually sit on the chicks, and spread her wings out a bit to huddle them all in. It's so cute! Nobody crowed this morning. They are 7 months old.

10. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes thats a rooster and if the other has the streamers sticking out from the crest like this one does then its a rooster to...can you get a similar shot to this one of the hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by