Roo or Hen?? so confused!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsbubba, May 14, 2008.

1. mrsbubba

mrsbubba New Egg

May 14, 2008
    Bridgewater, NS
    Ok I am new here, live in Nova Scotia Canada and decided that my 3 year old needed some kind of animal to look after and she loved chickens (we don't have room for a cow) LOL.[​IMG]

Ok so we got 9- 1 week old chicks which are now about 8 weeks old and we are trying to figure out whether or not these are hens or roosters.

Hoping anyone can help! Please tell me "blackie" is a hen! They are Columbia plymouth rock, Australorp, not sure of the other breed got it wrote down somewhere!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The Columbian Wyandotte sure looks like a roo, and the little one in the last pic definitly is a roo.

As to the breed in the background(the black and white ones), those are silverlaced Wyandottes. Not sure about the little rooster in the last pic that seems to be turning into a pretty silver, could be a silver phoenix.

3. mrsbubba

mrsbubba New Egg

May 14, 2008
    Bridgewater, NS
    yes that's the breed Silver Pheonix! Couldn't remember!

So what about blackie? I'm thinking hen (I sure hope).

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Hm, the blackie pic didn't show for me the when I checked last time. But now It does and I would say its a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by