1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billy Hill, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    I haven't been on for a while because I lost my flock this year and had to start over (****** complacency). I got 4 new birds birds this summer and 2 of them started laying this week (not sure which two), very small eggs but the shells are pretty good so we should be having breakfast this weekend. (YAY)

One of the birds (all white) has a really long comb. It's actually more like a Trump-esque comb-over at this point. This bird is very small and probably not one of the ones laying yet, but I'm concerned it's a little roo. It doesn't really act like one, but it's noisy (more of a "bak-bak-bagok", not a "cock-o-doodle-doo"). It has kind of taken over as watch-dog for the flock, this morning it jumped at my wife when she put her hand down to open the coop ( I think it just wanted to get out, they LOVE ranging in the back yard).

Anyway, is there a test I can do at home or at a livery to sex this thing? I don't want to eat it if it's going to be giving me breakfast, but I have no use for a roo (except maybe some roo-stew).

This is the little clucker in question...

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
  3. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Looks like a white leghorn pullet to me. She should be laying lots of white eggs for you soon, if she isn't already.

4. drsteik84

drsteik84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Blackfoot, Idaho, USA
    I agree. I used to have a bunch of white leghorn pullets that looked very similar to her. The really long combs are common for the breed.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above posts; White Leghorn pullet. :eek:)

6. peepsandSQUALKS

peepsandSQUALKS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    Pullet[​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet

8. Billy Hill

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    Thanks!

So that's prolly where the first egg came from, it was white. She was making a big fuss both times the white eggs showed up. Will the eggs get bigger as she gets better at it?

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Yep, White Leghorn pullets lay white eggs; and as she matures over the next few weeks, her eggs will continue to get larger until they reach full size. :eek:)

10. Billy Hill

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    Sweet!

Uh oh, there it is! 3 white eggs in 3 days, 4 total counting the little brown one. Are leghorn's more productive than other breeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by