1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmsagirl, Mar 24, 2016.

1. cmsagirl

cmsagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    We let our broody Dominique hen hatch and raise 2 chicks late last summer, both are grown now and are different breeds. One is an australorp hen, she just laid her first egg yesterday :D
    The other, Doodle, we thought was a roo, but he hasn't begun crowing, and our dom hen that he is with has started laying 2 eggs a day (started about a month ago) and one day even 3 eggs! Doodle looks an awful lot like our leghorn hen, could doodle be a dudette? Any ideas? (doodle is on the left)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Doodle looks like a hen to me, actually. [​IMG] I don't see any long, pointed saddle and hackle feathers.

~Alex

3. cmsagirl

Apr 6, 2015
    Woo! More eggs! Lol thanks!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Agreed, but I don't think your black one is an Australorp. It looks more like a mix.
    Here is a picture of an Australorp:
    [​IMG]
    Yours has small looking crest on its head.

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!

Your white one is a hen.... probably a White Leghorn (maybe mixed)

The others are right, your other doesn't really look like an austrolorp unless it's a mix. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. cmsagirl

Apr 6, 2015
    Lol my australorp hen isn't pictured :) doodle is the mix, not real sure what he (now she :) ) is. The Dom hen hatched out 2 chicks, Doodle was one and the australorp hen was the other, her name is petunia. I put doodle's pic up next to our white leghorn (she lays huge eggs so I know she's a hen) because even tho they're different breeds I thought they looked similar enough for me to think doodle (the black crested) could very well be a dudette lol!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hahaha, my mistake [​IMG]. I would guess Doodle is probably a Polish mix.

1 person likes this.
  8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! Hooray for another laying hen! [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by