Roo or hen??

bbecca

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2016
Oregon
[/IMG][/IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this is a Roo? I have 3 buff orpingtons total and 4 barred rock. "she" is distinctly different than the others.. Her comb is much larger than the rest. Also has a darker coloring on top of head. And I just noticed red little wattles underneath the beak and none of the other chicks have this yet. Also she's been picking fights with the others and is atleast on the top of the pecking order, if she's not a roo.

2nd question, if it is a Roo, do I need to seperate them or can a Roo stay in coop with hens? (First time chick owner)
Thanks for your help!

I'd say cockerel....you'll know for sure at 5-6 weeks by difference in comb and wattle size and color.

He can stay with other chicks for now, how you manage him as he becomes mature(around 3-4-5 months) is something to start thinking about now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Yes as time is going by I'm almost 100% sure it's a cockerel now. He's quite cute and my one son loves him. I'm debating on keeping him now. But I don't want fertil eggs. Thinking of keeping hens in coop and run and just letting him free range when he gets bigger so they stay seperate. Any thoughts on this?

He'll just pace the fence wanting in with the hens. I'd let him in with the hens or let the hens free range with him. Why do you now want fertile eggs?

@Gray Farms to be honest although I understand you can eat them, I'm kinda grossed out by the idea of eating fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom