We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Roo or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karint, Jul 16, 2019.

1. karint

karint In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Hi I have two minor sure about in my group. One has stayed much smaller but comb is colouring and the other one which is only a week older is much bigger then the rest only his/her combhasnt really collered much. Any ideas what gender I have? Thanks
    Note in the pictures it’s the browner chicken

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The red pictured with the white pullet is a pullet. The other one is very likely a little cockerel.

sourland likes this.
  3. karint

karint In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    That would be awesome. She or he though is double the size of the other ones that hatched at the same time. Does that change your guess? She/he has me so confused.

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Size is nearly the last thing that matters when judging a chicken's gender.

Stance is important as are the thickness of the legs.A red comb color from age six weeks is a very useful feature since pullets' combs remain pale until point of lay.

But most telling are the feathers. On cockerels, you will see pointy, very slender hackle feathers around the bottom of the neck and the same slender feathering on the saddle towards the back end. Around ten weeks, cockerels will likely be displaying curved sickle feathers shooting out from the center of the tail feathers.

Getting closeup pics of these features will help us make more accurate guesses.

5. karint

karint In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Ok I will take more pictures tomorrow morning when it’s lighter here. Thanks for all the information going to look really closely at them again tomorrow.

6. karint

karint In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    I added one more picture I had on my phone but will get better ones tomorrow. Do his feathers look pointed?

Attached Files:

7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    How old??? That's the biggest question when judging gender of young chickens. That said, the barred and the red look like cockerels to me.

cstephens1987 likes this.
  8. karint

karint In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    The red one is just over two months and the multi brown one is barely two months

9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    They're both cockerels.

10. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    Both the red (NHR?) and the legbar looking chick appear to be cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: