1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NancyDz, Mar 29, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have two chicks that are 4.5 weeks old. One is a SLW , the other a Sicilian Buttercup.
    I am beginning to think the SLW is going to be a roo. Can you tell at this age?
    Here's a couple pics, sorry my camera battery died so this is the only two I have for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm betting the SLW is a cockerel.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I would think the wyandotte is a roo. But wyandottes can be tough. The other doesn't have a comb or wattles to speak of, but the hackle feathers look male.

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    That would be just my luck.. two ROOS! [​IMG] I mainly wanted the buttercup but had to get two so they'd have company... looks like I'm rehoming one for sure and maybe two!

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I think your SLW is a roo. Their combs are sometimes hard to tell, but, with those waddles at 3 1/2 week I'd say it's pretty certain. I don't know about your other one. No experience there.[​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'd say the SLW is a roo because of the wattles and color of the comb. I'm not familiar with the other breed, but I don't think chicks can get pointed hackle feathers this early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by