Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bobby_A, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Bobby_A

Bobby_A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    The chicken in question is a 3 month old leghorn. This one seems like a pretty obvious roo to me, but the one thing that throws me is his tail and that he is slightly smaller than his sisters. His tail is very short, especially in comparison to his sisters, which is about twice as long. So, I'm hoping for some second opinions before I get rid of him, as I'm not allowed to keep roos. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I would say rooster because of the larger comb and wattles. The redder color tends to point towards roo also.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I've never had leghorns but that comb and wattles does seem quite rooish, but maybe give him/her some time, one of my BR pullets matured faster than the others and I thought she was a roo for a while, turned out to be girl. Good luck!

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Those are pullets in the picture. Leghorn hens have big combs they usually flop over when they are fully grown.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Roo pullet pullet is my guess

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2.

7. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I am not for sure. I want to say the one with the largest comb might be a roo. My leghorns pullets have the largest combs out of all my hens. It flops almost into their eyes. But their combs did not start getting large until right around when they started laying eggs. The Roo's combs are GIA-HUGIC, LOL. I had one I swore was a roo, and the one I was sure was a hen jumped up and crowed in my roommates face. I would tell you you'll know soon enough.

Christal

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I vote girl. Pretty soon they'll all look like that, and even bigger. Their combs are REALLY huge when they're mature. At three months, I'd think a roo would also look rooish, with hackle and saddle feathers, and I don't see that. I'd def. keep her!

9. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:x2.

x3 i ahd leghorns and all three were hens even though one had a HUGE comb and wattles before her sisters combs even really started developing!

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    My husband was the keeper of our flock of leghorns we used to have, and he says this is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by