Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cairopd1069, Dec 29, 2010.

1. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I thought about it today when I was socializing with my chickens. I have 10 BOs, and there are a couple that are obviously bigger than the other 8. I have 9 RIRs and 1 or 2 of them are bigger than the other RIRs. I have 5 Silver Wyndottes and they are all relatively the same size. If each breed was born on the same day, should there be much of a difference in their size? Could this be an indication of their sex? They have all been together since I received them on the 3rd of December, they have been fed the same feed and water. Maybe they are like us and some just get bigger faster and they may not be from the same hen or rooster. They all appear healthy and active and all are eating and drinking.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    The only way to really tell is if you post some pics!!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Size is no indication of gender [​IMG]

Look for saddle and hackle feathers (pointy ones are roosters), spurs, combs and wattles, length of legs, temperament (roos tend to be feistier), size of beak and feet etc. But I agree with barred babies. You'd need some pics to be sure, and this is the wrong forum [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by