1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ragerkid2, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I got these light barahams from TSC and i got a straight run all the chicks look the same as the one on the right, but the one on the left is huge compared to the other ones. Does that mean he is a Roo?
    Please Help
    - Brandon
    [​IMG](they are 2 weeks and a couple days old in this pic)

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Its hard to tell from your picture, but size is not necessarily an indicator of gender. Give it some time, watch her/his comb- if it starts to grow larger and turn red soon, you may have a roo. If you have a full body shot of the chick in question it will help folks guess.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Actually, the one the left is a pullet and the one on the right is a cockerel. They aren't hens and roosters until they are a year old [​IMG]
    The reason I am calling them that way is based on their wings. See the longer feathering in two layers on the left one? That usually tells me that it is a pullet. The blockier single row of feathers on the right chick tells me it is a cockerel. I hope this helps.

4. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    So my giant chick is probally a hen? Weird... O well That's what I wanted! : )

5. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Females of the same breed with feather faster than males, I have read. But my thought is also, if it were that easy than everyone would be doing it with success....

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

7. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    the only bad thing now is that i probally have 8 Roosters and 1 hen BLAHHHHHHH = [

8. lucky acres

lucky acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay I"m no expert. but I remember my Grandmother tiping over the babbies and stretching their gender hole and if there was a bump protruding it was a roo and if the bump wasn't as big it was a Hen.. thats all I remember.. thats why I buy my chicks and not hatch.. I eneded up with 4 roos and 2 hens.. not a good combo..

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Take pictures of all of them and post them. We can help you weigh in on how many boys you have. hey, that is what us smarty pants are here for [​IMG] This is my favorite part of the game.

10. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    i think they are too young still, they are only 3 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by