1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Hen???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Haehnchen1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Haehnchen1

Haehnchen1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    McDonald, PA
    The chicken on the right is the chicken in question. I'm pretty sure that the one on the left is a female. Please correct me if you see signs pointing in the other direction. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Can you get a closer shot of both of their heads? A front view and a side view so we can see the combs or lack thereof a little better. Pretty little babies BTW

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are they from the same breeder and parents? Silkies are SO hard to sex. I can see why you'd think that: fluffier, more compact body on the white bird. And in that pose, the grey has a more up-right posture. But I still wouldn't bank on either one way or the other unless you're seeing other signs. Does one have noticeably thicker legs than the other? Is one's comb "perking up" and standing out in some way (more than the other's)? They are both cuties, but that white one is really a beaut.

4. Haehnchen1

Oct 7, 2011
    McDonald, PA
    I hope that these will help. If not, I will post more tomorrow. If the bird in question turns out to be a roo, we will have to get rid of him.[​IMG] These are our first chickens, and we bought them at four weeks old off of Craigslist. There was a third, but she died of an unidentified disease. Definite learning experience!! We now have three Polish chicks in the brooder. They will join the Silkies later in the year.

Feet
    [​IMG]
    Head- She/He has more defined wattles than Betty White (the white silkie) She is also much more skittish than Betty White. She is clearly dominant over Betty, though.
    [​IMG]

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    I'm sure a silkie aficionado will come along shortly and tell you for sure but I think that may be a hen. From what I can tell the feet do not look that much bigger than Betty White's and the comb is not all that pronounced like a roo would be. From what I have seen on regular chickens, the comb usually starts standing out nicely by 6 weeks of age but I do not know if that holds true for silkies or not.

6. Haehnchen1

Oct 7, 2011
    McDonald, PA
    Thanks for the help! I can at least hold out hope that they are both girls and will be able to stay together. They are best buds:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by