1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaHen18, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    How can you tell the difference between female domination and a male trying to mate?

2. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    A dominant hen will eventually lay an egg. A rooster trying to mate will only lay... well.... hens. [​IMG]

All jokes aside though.... there are physical differences such as spurs, feathers, colouring, stance etc that can give you more clues to their sex. Can you post a pic and tell us the age/breed so we can hazard a guess? Or just wait and see.... it'll either lay an egg or start to crow.

3. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    Lol i know that but what i meant was mating behaviors. I have a marans in my flock that mounts one of my hens and only that one hen(my new hampshire). The marans isnt laying or singing so i dont the the gender yet. But then i saw a hen mount another hen but i know they are both hens because they are both laying eggs. But that only happened once(well that i saw of) and the marans is constantly mount my new hamp everyday. So im confused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by