Roo or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foghorn86, Nov 29, 2012.

1. foghorn86

foghorn86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    N. Texas
    She has no long or pointed hackle or saddle feathers, but a dark red and tall crown. 1st pic and white chicken in 2nd pic...
    guess and tell me why you chose what you chose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    i think its a hen i had a hen with a big crown once

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I dont see any pointed feathers (like the rooster its standing next too), looks like a leghorn cross hen.

4. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    They aren't very good pics, so it's hard to tell. But the leghorn is a female, I think. Not so sure about that mongrel bird tho. [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how old is it?

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't see hackle or saddles in the pics at all to tell if they're pointed or not, the white with the sun on it's too bright lol. And agree with the others, how old?

7. foghorn86

foghorn86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    N. Texas
    there are no long pointed hackle or saddle feathers. i got my 7 chickens about two weeks ago, being told they were all 4-6 month old hens. i have just figured out i have 3 roosters in the bunch. i am getting one egg a day. I think this is my only layer. i have witnessed her being mated (i think) twice. but what do i know...

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're getting an egg a day, it's her, cause all your other birds are roosters. Since everyone's reaching maturity you need to be sure those boys don't abuse her.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yea if your getting an egg i would bet it is from her as being that old she would have the pointed saddles and hackles along with the sickle feathers that you see on your other roosters...sorry you bought roosters instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by