Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Backyardighens, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Backyardighens

Backyardighens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He's a Barred Rock rooster.

3. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    That's what I thought too, but he came with another chicken (very clearly a NH Red rooster) and they're best friends. The barred rock is about half the size of the NH, stays out of everyone's way, and makes no noise, so I was just a little skepitcal....

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 You can tell by his pointed tail, saddle (back), and hackle (neck) feathers, and by his thick legs.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:X2

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:Sometimes when they are raised together they will get along just find, other times not.

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Roosters can be great friends with one another. Some hens and roosters are loners, some hens and roosters like to be in groups, some hens and roosters are aggressive, some hens and roosters are non-violent... And of course some hens and roosters are loud, some hens and roosters are quiet. There is no hard and fast rule that just because he's a male he'll be aggressive or whatever.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:perfectly stated. I have a cockerel, sweet as could be and a loner. I have a hen meanest little hen ever. She is an ameraucana and isnt that big, she pulls on my buff brahma roos neck feathers!He is 3 times her size. She is brave. She is mean to some of the other hens too.

9. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Chooks sure are individuals. ;)

10. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Good to know! He just really doesn't seem like a rooster in person I guess. I saved them from what the woman called "freezer camp". She's a breeder and these two (the barred rock and NH red) had curved toes, so she didn't want them because of their deformities. They were too beautiful to eat. I have plenty of hens so these two should co-exist fine together! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by