Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CharterChick, Jul 26, 2014.

1. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Might be early to tell but I think the latter 2 might be Roos... I live in the country so no biggie but the lakenvelder is my daughters chicken and we got it from the feed store out of a pullet bin. Her Wyandotte looks like a pullet to me but I'll add it just to check... It's also a feed store chicken. I'm new to chickens and I'm trying to figure out who is what :)

SLW Rose...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 8 year old says rose is part parrot... I can't wait till rose is full grown and tries to sit on her shoulder! Lol

[​IMG]

Lakenvelder 4-5 weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Astrolorp mix? 3 weeks-ish?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    The Lavender is a wait on.
    Its comb is big.It has rooster feathering .The Lavender I would wait on.Its comb is WAY light and normally cockerals have red colored combs.Its bigger then the rest and it has fatness to it.
    The Orp a little cockeral.Really we should wait.Although hens do not form combs until weeks later they.If they do its light not dark red or red.The Austrolorp is a rooster.That breeds chicks grow dark combs and as they grow it gets redder.I don't know if you notice,but its growing red pretty early.Rose is a hen.The Lavender like I said its more then likely cockleral.2 roosters will keep your flock safe though!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its too young to tell for sure. However, I'm leaning towards rooster on the Lakenvelder-- that's a large comb for the age, though its not red. Still, post more photos in a couple of weeks. Lakenvelders, like all Mediterranean-class breeds, mature faster and get large combs and wattles sooner, so yours may still be a female.

Your other birds are looking like pullets, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Well mayube to young but no youngster has a comb like that

5. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! I'll update pictures in a couple of weeks. Still holing out hope for our lakenvelder lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by