Roo or Hens?... 6 week old Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickeelina, Mar 4, 2014.

1. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am a new chicken owner and I went instantly obsessed with Opringtons. I bought what were supposed to be 6 English Orpingtons but after driving two and half hours found out that they were hatchery chicks guaranteed hens and I didn't want to drive home empty handed so I toughed out a very stinky car ride home with the heat on when it was 75 degrees out! I am assuming they are Americans, its ok. While I was at the chicken farm I also impulsively bought 3 Lavender Orps straight run. Now they are all 6 weeks old and 2 of the 3 lavenders are on my suspect list to be Roos. I am only allowed ONE Roo in my city and devastated at the thought of re-homing one!

What do you think? I will post more Roo suspect photos at week 7 and week 8.

Here is SUSPECT #1:

[​IMG]

2nd photo of SUSPECT #1:

[​IMG]

SUSPECT #2:

[​IMG]

All 3 Lavenders together...
    [​IMG]

This must be my Lavender Hen...
    [​IMG]

Here is the rest of the gaggle out of the brooder for a wing stretch...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    comparing from your lavender hen, I'd say they are both rooster, but im not 100% sure
    BTW beautiful chickens

1 person likes this.
  3. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    2 roos and one pullet in the lavenders

1 person likes this.
  4. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will post more pics next week.... now lets see if they turn bright red because they are still pinky. I keep reading wait until 2 months but judging by the size of these crests, I got caught up in the big debate of "Are they Roosters?"

5. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    there is a nice thread right below this one, the Joy of owning imported orpingtons. jump on down there and check out the pics,. some really nice birds and people there :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by