Roo or no Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by anniemary, Apr 8, 2012.

1. anniemary

anniemary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I had to sell my flock due to a hand injury that kept me from chicken chores. They were all BOs. Loved them! BUT I was VERY, VERY happy to get rid of my rooster. He terrified me. He respected my husband, but I was too afraid of him to establish dominance.

My hand has now recovered and I would like to start again. I really don't want a rooster, but my husband says we probably did not lose any chickens because of him.

Perhaps I could tolerate a rooster if our pastured coop was designed in such a way that I didn't have contact with him. But then, he wouldn't get used to me and there would be times when I'm sure I need to mingle with the flock.

Is there any such thing as a nice roo? What's the key to not having a rooster attack you? My rooster used to fall asleep in my arms, then he grew up and grew mean.

Do I have to have a roo if my coop is built securely?

We live in the country and the chickens will be moved around pasture. I can't decide if I should do electric netting where a roo would most likely be needed or a covered chicken tractor where a roo may not be needed (or would he?).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Annie

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    There are good roos, I have one myself.

Some of the advice here, and several posts, have often made that claim, that the favored pet turned into a dominant tyrant. I never made a pet of my roo, he has always been a bit scared of me, and I have never held him. He gives me respect, which is what I want, and you would want that too.

Mine really did nothing for field protection until he was well over a year old, and since then I have not lost a hen. It has made a big difference. So if you think that you would like a roo, you might buy a nice older one, that has already proven to be nice and respectful. But really if you are the one caring for the hens, I would rather lose a hen once in a while than deal in terror of a bird in the flock. Good grief, you only get one life, no need to be scared of a bird that would make a nice dinner.

MrsK

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I had a very pretty and sweet roo! Loved him!! Couldn't keep him because he crowed and I live in a neighborhood :/ Miss my sweet boy!!!!!!!

4. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

I once bought a little polish chick. He was the last one left at the feed mill, so I took him home and put him in with my other chicks, who slightly older. They bullied him a little, so I spent a lot of time carrying him around and letting him sit on my shoulder. He was the best socialized little chick I'd had.

Well, little Cookie (as he was so named), grew up to be a gorgeous rooster. He also grew up to be the meanest thing on the planet. It didn't matter where you were, or what you were doing, he would go at you. I had two baby brothers at the time, so I ended up having to get sell him. For a few weeks, he was sort of known throughout the community...people at the feed mill would say that there was this man that came in talking all about the meanest rooster...and I'd be like, "Yep...that's Cookie..." x)

Most of my roosters are the complete opposite of Cookie. They jump up on my shoulders and sit, they come when I call them...just regular sweeties! And they do an excellent job of warning my hens about hawks.

My point: Some roosters are just plain cranky, and it can't be helped. If you get them when they're babies and hand raise them, you'll be better off. When the little men are growing, they'll sometimes throw a few 'sneak attacks' at you- just to test you and see what they can get away with. If you can whack 'em good the first few times, you might just teach them. I've got a little white Cochin right now who's going through this stage. He happened to flog me the other day while I was carrying a small bag of bird seed. I heard him coming and managed to smack him with the bag while he was in mid-air. Haven't had a problem with him since. :)

Good luck with whatever decision you end up making! :)

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I have read several threads where the people who had "respectful" roosters did not handle them much as cockerels - some people even go out of their way to bully the rooster a bit when they enter the enclosure, like pushing it off the roost and stuff like that.

It makes sense that a rooster who is more comfortable with you and does not see you as a threat will start to attack you when his hormones kick in. I am raising my first chicks right now and if any of the straight runs decides to turn roo, I am definitely going to stop snuggling him - as hard as that will be!!

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes, there is such a thing as a nice roo; ours is. The best way to get such a bird is to get an older bird, one that already developed his personality and is beyond the angsty chicken teen age.

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

No. Unless you want to breed yer gals ya don't need one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by