Roo or no?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loghomehenhouse, Aug 4, 2013.

1. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    We ordered a new set of chicks from Meyer's this year, and one of our RI red "hens" turns out she is a he, and a big guy at that. He's beautiful, and super sweet. They aren't wuite a t maturity yet, so for now I've left "Frank" with the pullets as they've been raised since day one together. However, once they reach laying age, what do you suggest?

Leave him with the girls and let him do his thing?

Give him his own space away from the girls unless we decide we want to incubate some eggs?

Find him a new home all together?

(side note, my daughter brought home chicks from school, and we are confident two of them are cockerels, and I know we can't keep more than one roo for fighting reasons)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How many chickens do you have? If you have more than 10, I'd keep your rooster. Roosters are great protectors of flocks, and are fascinating to watch. Though I like my hens for their sweet nature, I love my roosters just as much for their amusing antics.

In general, you need at least ten hens per rooster. So to keep three roosters in total, you'd need at least 30 hens (40 would be better). If you want to keep all of your roosters, build them their own coop away from the hens. They will still fight to figure out pecking order, but there will be no hens to squabble over.

Hope I've helped!

3. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    We have 25 total

1 confirmed roo

2 we believe are, but haven't heard a peep our of them yet to confirm, but feathering suggests they may be roos.

I really don't want to get rid of any of them, hmmm? I wonder if my hubby will notice another 18 hens added? LOL

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Two roosters to a flock of 23 hens is fine. Good roosters are fantastic to have around. They are great protectors of the flock, looking out for the hens, and if needed they will sacrifice their life to save the others. Mine also guard and care for my broodies and their chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by