Roo or not Roo? That is the question.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lucidmom, Sep 15, 2011.

1. lucidmom

lucidmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    So I have 2 Lavendar Orps. We are having a tough time determining if one of the Lavendars is a Roo or not. The Lavendars are only 10 weeks old, and so far the one has no saddle feathers. But the comb and wattle are bright red. The other ones comb and wattle are still pale in color. Can I get all of your opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lucidmom

Sep 10, 2011
    I will say that my husband desperately wants it to be a hen. To the point of arguing that they both have the same color comb and wattle. But he is color blind, just not usually with red. So please settle this argument.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

1st two look like roos 2nd two look like hens.[​IMG]

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Same here.

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Same here.

x3

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    X4

One lav cockerel and one lav pullet.

7. lucidmom

Sep 10, 2011
    So the first 2 pics are of the same bird and the 3rd and 4th pics are the same bird. We hatched these from eggs, and the first bird is the one he picked to be his. So that is why he really wants it to be a hen, but he is so afraid that it is a roo.
    When do the saddle feathers come in and at what age do they crow?

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Saddle feathers come in 12+ weeks or so (give or take - I have a BO that just got them and he's about 16 weeks). Roos can crow anytime from days (LOL) until MUCH later - my cochin didn't crow until almost 6 months but was 100% roo.

FWIW, I vote boy on the first one. At that age you could try parting the feathers on the rear and see if the saddle feathers might be starting under there, but just not big enough to come out yet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. TBJumper0514

TBJumper0514 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Looks like a roo in the first and pullet in the second. You will have a nice pair! Most of my lavenders were pretty easy to sex once those combs started getting big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by