Roo or not? the debate continues...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leavingegypt, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    5 weeks ago I got 3 Production Reds and 3 straight run BO. About 2 weeks ago, Alice now known as BIG Al began to show roo signs. Now at 5 weeks- it's a given that she is a HE. Last week I started to wonder about Pruda or possibly P-Diddy. Although the comb is not as red or pronounced, I can't help but notice that Pruda/P-Diddy is developing some of the same characteristics. My husband is in denial and says, "She's just a tom-boy." I don't think it works that way. Can you help? I believe the 3rd in this group is deffinately pullet. Wilma is very softly rounded and has a small comb and no waddles what so ever.

[​IMG]
    Pruda/P-Diddy in foreground, BIG Al in the background
    [​IMG]
    BIG Al on the right Pruda/P. Diddy on the left
    [​IMG]
    Wilma on the left, Pruda/P.Diddy on the right
    [​IMG]
    BIG Al in all his rooness~

2. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I know it's early to say for sure, but in my opinion, Pruda looks like a pullet. I may be wrong, but you really won't know until they're a few weeks older. BUT... You can definately tell that "Big Al" is a cockerel.

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    HM.....I have two Buff orps, and they are five weeks tomorrow. Only one has shown "roo signs" like red wattles and a reddish comb, and he looks more like P-diddy than Big Al. Were they both slower to feather in than Wilma? Do they seem more inquisitive and independent than your other chicks? You won't know for sure for a couple more weeks, but I think you have two roos that developed at different rates and one pullet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Pruda/P.Diddy and BIG Al are the only 2 that do a chest bump and kick at each other when they get into each other's space. Also they are both the most vocal. BIG Al is basically a BIG chicken. He scares the easiest~ I refer to him as my Don Knotts rooster. He is also the smallest of all my flock and was late to feather in. P. only seemed to show possible roo signs within the last 2 weeks and even then they have not been obvious- other than the comb and some waddles.
    I can't have 2 roosters, so if they both are cockerels, I'll have to give one away. Good thing is a have a friend with a flock of BOs in need of a rooster. My husband, who has become attached to ALL of the chick-a-doodles is having a hard time accepting this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by