Roo or not to Roo....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CountryCentinel, Oct 16, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    We are about to order chickens for our first time, Buff Orp's, NH Red's, Barred Rock's...

Should we include a Roo?

I thought as we live in the country it might be a good idea but then a friend said it isn't and would just put pressure on the hens...

Please advise, thx.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It would depend on if you want any chicks. If you don't, then I wouldn't add a roo, but if you do, then yes I would add one. My opinion, if they are free ranging, I would give them a roo, he will do his best to protect them. I don't see that adding a roo would pressure to the hens.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    since you do live in the country I would suggest a roo. Unless you have small children. As far as putting pressure on your hens, that would depend on your roo/hen ratio. Mine is an awesome roo, he's a Barred Rock, and he's a sweetie. Takes good care of his girls and doesn't over-mate. I have 12 hens mature enough for breeding/laying, so my roo/hen ratio is optimal IMO. I don't have small children at home, but my grandson that is old enough to be around the chooks hasn't been around them yet (other grandson is only 11 weeks old). I have an up and coming BCM roo and pullet, and that roo is quite nice too so far, he slightly challenged me once, and then thought about it one more time, but he's been good so far since. I have 4 more pullets that will be introduced to the flock after quarantine period has passed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE having roos! They are the best part of my flock if you ask me...I just wish they could lay eggs too! I am going broke feeding all my gorgeous roos! [​IMG] Terri O

5. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I have a BO roo that is a doll. Not only is he beautiful but he is good to the girls
    and non aggressive to humans. He takes good care of the ladies, does not overmate
    and is respectful when they turn down his advances. I love to hear him crow,
    never get tired of hearing MY roo crow. We do free range when we are home. I do
    feel better knowing that he is out there with the girls. If something is going on
    he will let me know.

Now if I can only convince him that leaves falling and landing on top of the pen are not hawks
    then we would be in good shape [​IMG]

Did I mention that at first I did not want a roo, but since I have had Roy I do not know
    what I would do without him. [​IMG]

6. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Roo it is then... Thx all! ;-)

So is 1 Roo to 12 Girls sort of the optimum ratio then..?

And as I am finishing the coop, how many nesting boxes per number of birds is recommended?

Thx again!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 6-7 month old chickens, all different breeds. I ordered 3 roosters plus 34 pullets, but got 5 roos and 32 pullets, so now we have way too many roos. Had to separate the boys for a few weeks to give the girls a break when they were first laying eggs. Now back together, 1 less hen, 1 fewer roo, still too may roos. The hens were so much happier and calm without the boys, but it is very difficult to find homes for extra roos. If I were doing it all over I would not have roos, but I would recommend getting only 1 because you can get free ones each Fall when everyone tries to give away extras.

8. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Yes, thats what my neigbor/friend told us, they have 25 hens and one Roo, and the big fella is pretty hard on the gals...

We ordered one Roo, a BO, hopefully he will be true to his breed description and act the gentleman... lol

9. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:I have 1 Roo and 13 Hens. None of the hens show any signs of being over mated.
    I have two nesting boxes, so far that seems to be working for the hens. If I have to add
    another one I always can.

10. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    We ordered 25 chic's, one is a roo, we'll have a few each of BO's, BR's, and NHR's.

My coop will have 4 boxes, I hope that is enough, but I could add more too...

The whole gang will be here 2nd week of Nov, we are soooo excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by