Roo or not

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kjkmmomma, Mar 5, 2016.

1. kjkmmomma

kjkmmomma Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2016
    Ok guys, this is " Ben" who I thought was a Roo... Until he started acting broody... All but one of my hens are broody right now, what do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like a hen to me.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old is it? Can you pull back the crest and give us a shot of the comb, back of crest and side profile of the bird standing?

It does look like a hen, but most of boys are very feminine looking. They also prep the nests for the girls and often will hang out in there afterwards or sit with girls that are brooding and laying.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree it looks like a hen. How old is it?

5. kjkmmomma

kjkmmomma Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2016
    I'm pretty sure " Ben" is a hen? Just from the way he/she [​IMG]Is acting now... He is 9, almost 10 months old now. I'm also going to post a pic of " Owen" who has all the characteristics of a Roo, except I see no comb? 1st is close up of Ben, the white Silkie is Owen.. And yes, I'm pretty sure he has poop on his head, haha!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kjkmmomma

kjkmmomma Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How about Owen? Roo or Hen?
    Thanks guys!

7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They both look like pullets to me! Maybe Ben (Benina?) is getting ready to lay you an egg!

8. kjkmmomma

kjkmmomma Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2016
    Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I have all ladies [​IMG]. I was hoping for at least one Roo, my poor girls have been sitting there for no reason, all their hard work for nothing[​IMG].

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sounds like you have my luck. Hope for pullets, get loaded down with cockerels. Need a nice roo, none to be found :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by