Roo or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marinagarita, Nov 17, 2016.

1. marinagarita

marinagarita Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    Hello everyone! My mom bought a new chicken while I was out of town... the woman she bought it from said it was a hen. I'm back, a week later, and am pretty sure it's a roo, but I'm a chicken noob and wanted someone with more experience to let me know!!
    It started crowing the day I got home, but I have also seen videos of a hen crowing... haha sorry I feel like such a newbie! Haven't heard him crow after that one time, and currently is living with 1 other chicken, a hen (that I know is a hen!).

I think it's a serama, but I'm also unsure of that. Approx 3-ish months old?

Jackie/Jack is really pretty, but I'm not wanting any roos so if she is a he, then I'll be seeing if I can exchange for a hen.

EDIT:
    Aw man... the lady is not willing to exchange. Little bit miffed, but oh well. Going to see if someone will exchange...

Also if anyone is in the Ocala FL area and is interested in a trade, please message me! Doesn't have to be a Sebright (but I'd love one!) just would like a young-ish pullet! He's been fed organic pellets and lots of fresh veggies!
    Can't post in the trade section yet so will do that when I'm able..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Silver Sebright... and yep, he's a boy...

3. marinagarita

Jan 27, 2016
    Thank you!

4. marinagarita

Jan 27, 2016
    Thank you! Hopefully I can exchange :)

5. marinagarita

Jan 27, 2016
    Aw man... the lady is not willing to exchange. Little bit miffed, but oh well. Going to see if someone will exchange...

Also if anyone is in the Ocala area and is interested in a trade, please message me! Doesn't have to be a Sebright (but I'd love one!) just would like a young-ish pullet! He's been fed organic pellets and lots of fresh veggies!
    Can't post in the trade section yet so will do that when I'm able..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Yes he is a rooster,
    The lady should take him back as she sold it to you as something else.
    It's like someone advertising a a toaster as a kettle and then someone buying it.
    They miss sold it to the person
    She should take the rooster back

7. marinagarita

Jan 27, 2016
    She definitely should. She's being a little bit rude though, so I'm not really going to deal with her anymore [​IMG]
    Hopefully can find someone to exchange, or find a good home for him. He is awfully pretty!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you could mention that BYCers agree this bird was mis-identified as a pullet and it is definitely a roo which you cannot have. He is such a handsome little guy, I don't think you'd have trouble selling him or trading him. You might want to post on your state thread.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BTW I believe you need 20 posts to participate in the BYC Buy,sell,trade forum and you have enough to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by