Roo or Pullet and 1 other question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twinmama+1, Mar 28, 2009.

1. twinmama+1

twinmama+1 New Egg

Mar 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Just got our first 6 chicks about 3 weeks ago. We got 2 RIR that the lady we bought them from accidently ordered as straight run. The first night home we were thinking that one of them was a roo just because of the way it was strutting around the box and standing up taller than all the others. It also feels heavier than the rest now and has a much bigger comb and wattles.

Here's a pic of the one we think is a roo:
    [​IMG]

And here's the other RIR for comparison:
    [​IMG]

WDYT? Is the first one a roo, or is it too soon to tell?

Also, when we bought the chicks they were all the same size, but our silver leghorn is now about half the size of the rest of them. Does this have something to do with her breed, or would there be some other reason for her small size?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I'd say thats probably a roo, but even pullets of the same age develop their comb and wattles at different rates. How old were they when you received them? Also, a photo of the back and wings would help in identifying the sex. RIR roo's backs have a more course/rough feathering than the pullets do prior to being completely feathered out in their teen feathers, if that makes sense,

3. twinmama+1

twinmama+1 New Egg

Mar 28, 2009
    Colorado
    They were a week old when we got them.

It's not the best pic, but here's the back of the one we think is a roo:
    [​IMG]

And a side shot for good measure:
    [​IMG]

And here's the other RIR's back:
    [​IMG]

4. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Looks like a few of the RIR we hatched off a few months ago.Very beautiful birds and very,very friendly. Good luck with your babies. And the one you think is a roo looks like our boys at that age.

5. DancesWithChickens

DancesWithChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Rossville, Ga
    Well, i don't know as i am new to this also. We bought 6 RIR's too and today as i was putting them back in there pen after i had cleaned it, i noticed that one had a larger comb than the rest. I hope someone knows so i will know too.[​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I believe the chick in your first pic is a cockerel, the second pic is a pullet.

7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    The first looks like it is definitely a male. And males feather out slower than the girls.

8. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I put my vote in for a roo too.

9. OldMORoo

OldMORoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    S. W. MO
    Only have 8 RIR's that are about 10 wks. old now. Some of my pullets have large to small combs and wattels as yours. But #1 has some big old hams on him. [​IMG] Me thinks, roo and hen.
    Claude

10. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I bought 5 BO pullets and I have one that has comb and wattle and they are 4 weeks old monday. It looks just like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by