Roo or Pullet EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cnjtnt, Dec 12, 2009.

1. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    Got two of them. Suspected one of possibly being a Roo, now I think they both might be. The one with out tail feathers had them removed through the fence by the Dog. They are 14 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In the bottom pic.

Left : roo
    Right: pullet

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    i say both pullets...

4. cnjtnt

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    so......maybe you all could help me explain your reason for thinking they are a roo or pullet. I can't get better in my chicken sexing if I don't know.

I could identify the difference between friendly and (then) enemy tanks when I was in the Army, but that was after figuring out what to look for.

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Both girls.I hope some person with better English say more but for me 14 weeks boy will have a litle biger and more pinkish-red comb.There are other things but is hard for me to explain.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They both look like pullets to me.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pullets. Most male EEs by now at this color are a lot more red, have a different face, have a much more defined comb, and have a nice, full breast of feathers sweeping up their bodies as well as slowly developing saddle feathers. These two are very pullet-like.

The one with the missing tail feathers could possibly be an iffy one, there may be a chance it is a boy. . . But I'd say pullet for now. The one with the tail is a dead giveaway - Not only do EE roos not come in that color (infact it is a common pullet/hen color) but the tail holds stiff and erect, without any saddling or slow growth. My EE roos I have known took a while for their tails to come in, and with the tails came saddle feathers. Also, both hold their bodies like pullets.

8. cnjtnt

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    Here is a pic from when they were 12 weeks old, before the dog got the tail feathers. The Orpington with the bald back was from being the favorite of a Rooster before we became her new home. No mean rooster for that one.

[​IMG]

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The chick with the tail is a definite pullet - like Illia said, her coloring/pattern isn't found on EE roos. The tailless one is little more iffy - the coloring looks a little more like a roo, but the comb is pretty small for 14 weeks. If I had to guess, I'd say pullet because of the comb size.

10. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    Mahonri i agree [​IMG]

___ nice FizzyZow thats pretty cool
    ( o >
    /,, ) \\
    l' __,,'

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by