Roo or Pullet? Is Sandy a boy???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chilisweet, Aug 16, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Ok yesterday morning, our girl Sandy, started crowing. But she did so when we brought our babies our to their run for some play time. So I figured it was just her getting mouthy and complaining about all the attention the little ones were getting. Didn't think anything more about it.

Until this morning, she's crowing again! It doesn't sound like a typical crow, but then again, she's supposed to be a girl, and she's a banty. I know that some pullets do crow and take on the position of a roo sometimes, so I'm hoping thats what's going on?

Anyways, here are some pictures of Sandy, our Buff Brahma Banty whatever she/he is:

full body:
    [​IMG]

head shot:
    [​IMG]

possilby sickel feathers??:
    [​IMG]

thanks for your help! And if she is a roo, anyone want her in the SW Wa/OR area?

~Caran

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The last pic shows very pointy saddle feathers. (the sickles are those long tail streamers). Rooster.

3. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    ok what are saddle feathers? lol We just learned the word sickle feathers today, so this is something new as well!

~CAran

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The saddle area is the area just in front of the tail, on the back of the bird. The sickles are the long tail streamers and the hackles are the neck "cape".

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sandy is a boy.

6. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    ya Sandy, now Sam, is crowing away. Stretching out his neck and flapping his wings while doing so. I am going to try and post a video so you can all see.

I'm sad....We love Sandy!

~Caran:(

7. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    well i tried to post the link of his first crow, but it didnt work. will do so again in a bit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by