Roo or Pullet? *Silkies New owner need help*

MariBellsy42869

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Hi there!
I have two 7.5 week old Silkies affectionately named Popcorn and PingPong.
Initially when we got them at 2 days old we figured Popcorn was the male as they would constantly gaurd the other one from us and hated being separated and gained their fluffy at a faster rate. they're much larger than PingPong.. Now that they're starting to fluff out and grow, Popcorn has relaxed more and PingPong has now started to gaurd them, will occasionally peck at us and we've noticed almost a "chest puff" action when we're around, like they'll fluff up and stick their chest out around the other chick.

Popcorn has more pronunced hackle feathers and is larger, however their comb is still small while PingPongs comb is much larger and pink tinged. Could is be the scruffy feathers they have actually be rooster streamers?
I know they're still growing but it be nice to get an idea as these are my first silkies and I still have 4 week old ones so it'll help me know what to look out for.
Popcorn photos here
received_583593780031399.jpeg
received_756108415535509.jpeg

received_356209093338676.jpeg

PingPong photos here
received_1291523438321132.jpeg
received_758108792167411.jpeg

Last edited:
X2 pingpong could still be a hen but most likely a rooster
thank y'all for your thoughts! Silkies are so hard to know for sure and while I'd like to transition to the coop now l want to wait until I know for sure which one is male and female. What are some landmark moments to look out for? (like what week do they usually crow. when would streamer feathers be more prominent, etc)

thank y'all for your thoughts! Silkies are so hard to know for sure and while I'd like to transition to the coop now l want to wait until I know for sure which one is male and female. What are some landmark moments to look out for? (like what week do they usually crow. when would streamer feathers be more prominent, etc)
Crowing can take 3-6 months sometimes depending on the development. Streamers usually around 12 weeks I think

Crowing can take 3-6 months sometimes depending on the development. Streamers usually around 12 weeks I think
thank you! my neighbor who owns like 30 chickens came over to take a peak at them and agreed about PingPong most likely being the roo and Popcorn being a pullet. PingPongs tail feathers Ive noticed are curling at the ends a little..
could be my overthinking lol! just the anticipation kills me.

Hi there!
I have two 7.5 week old Silkies affectionately named Popcorn and PingPong.
Initially when we got them at 2 days old we figured Popcorn was the male as they would constantly gaurd the other one from us and hated being separated and gained their fluffy at a faster rate. they're much larger than PingPong.. Now that they're starting to fluff out and grow, Popcorn has relaxed more and PingPong has now started to gaurd them, will occasionally peck at us and we've noticed almost a "chest puff" action when we're around, like they'll fluff up and stick their chest out around the other chick.

Popcorn has more pronunced hackle feathers and is larger, however their comb is still small while PingPongs comb is much larger and pink tinged. Could is be the scruffy feathers they have actually be rooster streamers?
I know they're still growing but it be nice to get an idea as these are my first silkies and I still have 4 week old ones so it'll help me know what to look out for.
Popcorn photos hereView attachment 3197294View attachment 3197296

View attachment 3197292

PingPong photos here
View attachment 3197297View attachment 3197298
this morning around 5am we heard a squawking shrill almost like a mix between a chirp and a cry, I rushed into the room they're currently in because I thought one of them got hurt..
but everyone was okay, just never heard a noise like this...I wonder if PingPong is attempting to crow 🤔

9 weeks old now, one of them is definitely crowing..or attempting too. question is, who?
Popcorn comb hasn't changed but I have new photos of PingPong

Snapchat-1668015690.jpg

PingPong is on left, Popcorn on right

Snapchat-661353060~2.jpg

PingPong ^

Back
Top Bottom