roo or pullet SLW ETA second pic!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cracked_egg, Jul 11, 2010.

1. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Hey! TIA for starters! This is a 3 week old SLW... "It" is not correct because it has a single comb rather than a rose comb, but it has a pinkish red comb and I'm seeing the start of waddles.... But yet "its" tail feathers are full... I thought roos were the ones with the least feathering (I have three of those... And these were all sexed females).... Any thoughts are welcome!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hard to tell at such an early age. Here's my pair at around 7 weeks old:
    The roo is on the left:
    [​IMG]

He is so handsome now!
    [​IMG]

I suspected he was a roo right around 7 or 8 weeks as he had more red around his eyes and face. He was a bit smaller than his sister up until a month ago. Their tails looked similar up until 3 months but he started having saddle feathers and I noticed that his tail feathers were getting longer.

3. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Awe gorgeous!!!!

This one is smaller bodied, and definitely redder than the others... But I had a batch that were older and they all seemed to have pinkish combs... I don't know, maybe I'm crazy! Lol...

Thanks for the input, where did you get yours? They are gorgeous, and I've only had chickens since may and I'm starting to think show quality birds are in order!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by