1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Pullet? VERY confused.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lone Star Chick, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Lone Star Chick

Lone Star Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Hello. I have 2 RIR chicks, approximately 7 weeks in age. Both purchased from TSC. I believe the larger of the two (1st pictures), to be female. The smaller one, in the 2nd set of photos, I'm a bit unsure of. "She has always had a larger comb, and is now has larger waddles as well. "She" has this GOOFY run/walk, that is different from her sister, and my other 10 birds (these are my only RIRs). "She" has some green feathering and longer tail feathers as well. "She" had an accident at about 3-4 wks old (got trapped under feeder for right under an hour), and has been stunted in growth since, so it is a bit harder to compare the two birds. 2 pullets, 1 pullet/1 Roo? Thank you in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Supposed Pullet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo or Female?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you all again in advance!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The first is a pullet. The second... looks female but I agree the comb and wattles are rather suspicious. That said, many RIR pullets tend to have rather large combs and wattles, whereas almost all cockerels grow MASSIVE combs and wattles, significantly bigger than this one's. I would suggest posting updated pictures in 3-4 weeks, sex should have become much more obvious by then.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    Hmmm... I got a RIR "pullet" originally from Privett Hatchery and right off the bat "she" acted differently. I noticed this chick was bolder, larger comb that reddened up early, and was far more alert. It did end up being a cockerel unfortunately. Here are pics I took to compare:

Middle chick
    [​IMG]

Notice the roosters stance and the RIR cockerel next to him. :lau. My dog walked by, notice the pullets didn't pay it much mind but the boys wanted to kick butt!

[​IMG]

About 6weeks old here. RIR cockerel vs red sex link comb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Far left chick
    [​IMG]

Far right chick roughly 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

It's a tough call on this one, you will know for sure if it crows or lays an egg! :old But I agree with the others, give it a little longer and it will get easier to tell pullet/cockerels apart.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lone Star Chick

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you all. I will wait and see, then update at 10-12 weeks.
    Chickenmomma16, I couldn't get a great picture of him/her, but pic 3 bears a striking resemblance to him/her, in person(well, chick to human...;). Hoping for a rooster, but 12 hens means more eggs[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].

6. Lone Star Chick

Mar 6, 2016
    Update: chickens are now 9 weeks. Still not 100% on the "male", but I'm still holding out for a Roo. Anyone able to tell now? Thanks again in advance!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Lookin like a pullet to me.

8. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    If it's 9 weeks old, I vote cockrel. That's a whole lot of comb to be a girl.

9. Lone Star Chick

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you both!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by