ROO or PULLET

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Rustler, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Any body have a guess. This is a RIR bought as DO pullet 3/5/09. I have noticed that the comb seems larger and starting to flop and getting red. The others I got at the same time have much smaller combs. Also this one has a longer tail than the rest. Hit me wiff yer best shot.

[​IMG]

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Can you show a side shot with legs and posture?

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Pullet. A roo wouldn't have feathers down the center of the back or on the wing bows.

Check the feet to see if there are spur nubs. As a rule, hens don't have them.

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a roo to me for the reasons you mentioned, except for the longer tail. The color and comb is what I look for at that age.....P

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The easiest way to tell is to compare to chicks of the same breed from the same hatch. Sounds like this one is a roo based on your description. I wouldn't expect saddle feathers until 2-3 months and spurs until 8-12 months.

6. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Thanks all I got 6 of these RIR at the same time from Del's feed supply. I have this one and maybe one other that I think are gonna crow (roo's). 1 wouldn't be too bad, 2 were gonna have a chicken dinner and more than that I will be takin em back to Del's.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto. Here is a pic of my Roo at about 4 months old with two pullets next to him.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of him at approx 2 months.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by