Roo or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wqcustom, May 28, 2010.

1. wqcustom

wqcustom Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Hi,
    Just wondering if I have a roo or pullet. It's around 7-8 weeks old here. The comb is much more prominent than my other RIR's at the same age, but maybe that's just the way a pullet is for this breed? Speaking of breed, I am assuming this is a Barred Rock, but am wondering why mine doesn't have yellow legs?? Is this still considered a Barred Rock with slate legs?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It looks like a Dominique to me. The feathering looks kind of girly but I'm not sure. [​IMG]

3. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'm gonna say roo. Pretty chick, sorry I can't help you more on breed.

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Dominique (rose comb) and it's a cockerel.

5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i am not sure that roo, and it is a roo, is a pure breed. The comb looks like it could be pea-ish and possibly there is some slight bread. i think it could have some EE in it.

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    come to think of it, the white pullet looks a little EEish in the face too.

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm seeing a rose comb, or thought I was (that little lift at the back in the one photo). Where's my glasses when I need them? Oh that's right, I don't wear any, but maybe I should, LOL.

Now that it's mentioned about the cross, a dominique will have yellow shanks and this bird has swarthy yellow. And my eyes may be deceiving me about the rose comb actually being a pea comb. So it may possibly be a cross.

8. wqcustom

wqcustom Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Thanks for everyones reponses. So, I was told when I bought this 2 weeks ago that it was a Barred Rock pullet. Now it looks like it's neither. Here's a closer look at the comb if that helps. Am I correct in assuming Barred Rocks have yellow legs and Dominques have gray? This is still very new to me, thanks again!
    [​IMG]

9. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    i think that the dominiques have yellowish legs too, but they might not. [​IMG] i cant tell for sure, ive only ever had the rocks.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Barred Rocks and Dominiques should have Yellow legs....

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by