Roo or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wqcustom, May 28, 2010.

1. wqcustom

wqcustom In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Hi,
    Just wondering if I have a roo or pullet. It's around 7-8 weeks old here. The comb is much more prominent than my other RIR's at the same age, but maybe that's just the way a pullet is for this breed? Speaking of breed, I am assuming this is a Barred Rock, but am wondering why mine doesn't have yellow legs?? Is this still considered a Barred Rock with slate legs?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It looks like a Dominique to me. The feathering looks kind of girly but I'm not sure. [​IMG]

3. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    I'm gonna say roo. Pretty chick, sorry I can't help you more on breed.

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Dominique (rose comb) and it's a cockerel.

5. smarsh

smarsh Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i am not sure that roo, and it is a roo, is a pure breed. The comb looks like it could be pea-ish and possibly there is some slight bread. i think it could have some EE in it.

6. smarsh

smarsh Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    come to think of it, the white pullet looks a little EEish in the face too.

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm seeing a rose comb, or thought I was (that little lift at the back in the one photo). Where's my glasses when I need them? Oh that's right, I don't wear any, but maybe I should, LOL.

Now that it's mentioned about the cross, a dominique will have yellow shanks and this bird has swarthy yellow. And my eyes may be deceiving me about the rose comb actually being a pea comb. So it may possibly be a cross.

8. wqcustom

wqcustom In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Thanks for everyones reponses. So, I was told when I bought this 2 weeks ago that it was a Barred Rock pullet. Now it looks like it's neither. Here's a closer look at the comb if that helps. Am I correct in assuming Barred Rocks have yellow legs and Dominques have gray? This is still very new to me, thanks again!
    [​IMG]

9. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    i think that the dominiques have yellowish legs too, but they might not. [​IMG] i cant tell for sure, ive only ever had the rocks.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Barred Rocks and Dominiques should have Yellow legs....

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by