Roo or Pullet?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MKKimmen, Jun 30, 2010.

1. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

We recently bought some more new baby chicks from TSC. We were told they were sexed and were Pullets. The two Barred Rocks we have look different. One is darker and one is lighter. The Darker one (Oreo) has longer tail feathers, and the lighter one (Roxy) has shorter tail feathers. Im wondering if the lighter one is a Roo?? I read that the lighter Barred Rocks are 'usually' Roo's and the darker Barred Rocks are 'usually' Pullets. I know this isn't always true but I was wondering if you can tell by the pic's. They are just about 4 weeks old now.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    You got a roo and a pullet >.> this is just my opinion the darker of the 2 is the roo and the lighter is the pullet

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    the first one looks like a hen.. the second photo not so sure. [​IMG]

4. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

I'm hoping their both Hens.. [​IMG]

5. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I am going to have to disagree with the others. The first one looks roo I mean if it is full blood BR and it being a pullet the comb would not be that big or color the second one looks like my BR pullet
    [​IMG]

6. MKKimmen

MKKimmen In the Brooder

We were also told b/c both BR Chicks had white on top of their heads they were pullets. ???

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    barred rock chicks ALL have white spots, it is the shape of the spot that matters(pullet more defined spot, cockeral smudged). Pullets/hens are darker, cockerals/roos are lighter. first one is a cockeral, second a pullet

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. Well...I'll let ya look at my wee ones from last year, they're about 6 weeks old or so here.

In the first pic the one just to the right of the hen is a little roo
    [​IMG]

In this one, he's on the right again, you can see the combs really well for comparason. Altho my BR hens do have large combs, it was obvious at that age one was a roo.
    [​IMG]

9. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    1st is a rooster, 2nd is a girl

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    first one : roo
    second one : hen