Roo or pullet??

Kwalz07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to raising chickens. We got our 1st chickens In October..said all were hens but now we are not sure how accurate it is. Sunday we noticed a rust color one (which we were told was tetra tint) crowed twice! Then this morning was crowing early around 530 and then at 730 as I opened the coop. I've seen that hens can crow but was just looking for other more experienced opinions all of this. Thanks in advance
14 weeks

welcome-byc.gif

At 14 weeks, a crowing bird is male. Older, dominant hens can crow, or older hens with hormonal issues. Not young girls. Plus, the larger comb and wattles, and the patchy shading of colors say male.

Everyone else is female, though, so that's a good thing!

Alright thanks so much for the help! We were thinking same thing but always nice to hear from the more experienced chicken owners :) I'm glad rest are female! Is the standard ratio 1:10 for roos to pullets?

! Is the standard ratio 1:10 for roos to pullets?
Yes, 1 rooster to 10 hens is usually a good ratio. Sometimes, you can get away with having less hens, if you have a gentle rooster. Other times, you need even more hens per rooster to prevent overmating.

Ok perfect! He is a really great bird so far..let's us pet and hold him and really shows no real aggression as of yet. Just noticed him ruffling his neck feathers and standing tall to the new and younger EE that we have added to the flock. A few pecks to the newcomers but nothing serious. Looks like we will try to add some more females come spring and hoping to have some of our girls be me mom's :)

Ok perfect! He is a really great bird so far..let's us pet and hold him and really shows no real aggression as of yet. Just noticed him ruffling his neck feathers and standing tall to the new and younger EE that we have added to the flock. A few pecks to the newcomers but nothing serious. Looks like we will try to add some more females come spring and hoping to have some of our girls be new mom's :)

Crowing bird is male, the others are pullets. He should be fine with the pullets that you have/will get; some roosters are rough, but I've never had any that damaged even a small number of hens. I'm glad he's a good bird so far, hopefully he stays that way. Roosters can be very enjoyable to have.

Ut oh my wife found her way to the forum. Watch out everyone. Lol... Thanks for all the help everyone

Tap'd via mobile device

Back
Top Bottom