Roo Paranoia settling down

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Oct 27, 2011.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    [​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who responded to my plea about accidental roos. I was really concerned about getting one with a batch of girls, but I think I've got it figured out now. I even had my husband read your comments. What we've decided is this:

1. We'll buy sexed chicks of the breeds we originally wanted, and hope for the best.
    2. We won't go out of our way to buy a roo, but if we get one we'll socialize the dickens out of him and hope it goes well. Maybe buy earplugs for the neighbors.
    3. We'll drop back ten and punt if things don't go as planned. (This goes for lots of things in our lives, actually!)

My only actual roo experience is with one owned by my son's old daycare provider. She had an accidental boy in her henhouse, and he had the run of the property. His name was Mister Doodle Doo. The kids ADORED him, and gave him treats at every possible opportunity. When I would drive up, he would come to greet me, and beg for the crumbs, abandoned crackers, and bits of stuff always found in the back seats of cars that carry toddlers. He was a treasure.

Maybe we'll accidentally get our own Mister Doodle Doo!

Thanks again!

--Nikki

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My dominant Roo is a sweetie. Actually, so are all my current cockerels and roosters, once they got past the awful adolescent stage. Out of about 13 roosters, only ONE (so far) was a bad one, and we culled him permanently. (He injured or killed six different pullets, just by being too agressive, and he also mercilessly attacked some of the lesser ranked roosters.) As he was a bantam cochin, it was really surprising.

All the other boys are good boys. I just wait for them to get through that icky stage.... with some training during it. If I can have a flock with a zillion roosters running around in it, I'm pretty certain you should be able to have a good Roo in yours.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I miss our 3 white leghorn Roos we gave to a friend [​IMG] I hope to never have to do that again. But with eight babies in the brooder I know the odds are good we will have more roosters to deal with eventually. We have a small yard and with limited resources the roosters end up being the first to go.

Sounds like you have a good plan - flexible!

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Haha drop back 10 and punt, I'm a girl that loves a football reference! On to important matters... How long does the annoying adolescent stage last... I'm kinda over it and I know the girls are too.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Anywhere from one to three months is what I have observed. They will always mount hens more than you or I (or the hens) would like, but the frenzied behavior slows down eventually.

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    For clarity... 1 to 3 months old or 1 to 3 months after the over eager over aggresive starts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by