1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roo pecking feathers out of backs of my hens grrr

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by djackjr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    How do i stop my roo from pecking the feathers out my hens???

2. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Great question, when you find out let me know. One of my girls spent time in the bathroom recovering from having her comb bit and torn by the rooster....blood everywhere. I have separated the boys from the girls and am currently looking for a new home for the boys. It really makes me sad, if there is a way to get the boys to behave I would love to keep them. Anyone have suggestions???

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

my solution as i also have my girls and nice roo being pecked and tortured by my mean roo. isolate the roo forever or cook him.

[​IMG]

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Get rid of the roo...it won't stop....

5. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    ROO=Dinner i believe is what I will do, Now who will do the deed??? Not me says I....sigh

6. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ok, I have the 2 roos together in a separate part of the run, they are with the girls but cannot get to them. At night I put them in the coop with the girls but in a large dog crate. Is this ok to do? Will they turn on each other? They have plenty of room but I don't want to make matters worse....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by