Roo poll - which to keep - pict. heavy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Dec 26, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I need some opinions on which roo's to keep and which to go. I am too attached to make a good decision. I have 14 bantam polish pullets, 2 brown egg hens, 1 EE hen. I started with 10 roos and rehomed 4, I still have 6 roos and need to get rid of at least 2. Every time I get rid of one I then rethink things and wish I had chosen another to cull. Here is picture and info... let me know what two should go if you had to make the choice.

[​IMG]
    Captain Hook He's supposed to be a bantam Polish but is full size. One of the dominant roos but has had his head feather plucked. He also has a wattle that is deformed.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Fuzzy Pants My son's favorite he's an EE, one of the dominant roos, some of the little pullets are scared of him

[​IMG]
    Brainy Black crested White Polish, average in all ways He hangs out with Speckle

[​IMG]
    Skunky Crevecoeur who is a rather meek roo who stays out of the way and doesn't cause any problems, the hens don't mind him

[​IMG]
    Speckle - polish splash bantam tends to get into it with the other roos the hens tolerate him

[​IMG]
    Al black crested White bantam Polish, he's my favorite but also the smallest and meekest. The pullets like him but he has had his head feather plucked and been chased around quite a bit.

So the question is what is best for the flock. Which two to get rid of. I may divide between regular and bantam come spring but they have to survive the coop until then.

2. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    skunky gets my vote

3. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    i'm not much help but

Brainy Black crested White Polish - he is awful pretty!!!

I vote to keep him

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:x2

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Keep Skunky for sure, I'd try to track down who is doing the pecking and remove them. Much for fun to have a calm and quiet roo, for both humans and hens [​IMG]

Maybe Speckle needs to go if he's being too much of a bully.

6. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I like the variety you have with the Roo's.

I would keep:

Capt Hook
    Mr Fuzzy Pants
    Brainy
    Al

Lots of color and different sizes with all sorts of possibilities for future breeding operations.

Nothing against Skunky or Speckle both are handsome Roo's but Mr Fuzzy Pants is your sons favorite and Al is your favorite.

I really like the color/pattern of Brainy and Capt Hook.

Happy Holidays

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by