Roo prefers the lady ducks to the hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happydog, Nov 14, 2010.

1. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    Is that a cullable offense or normal rooster behavior? I have a white rock rooster that goes after the Indian Runner ducks. They hate it and they all try to run away when he comes after them. When he catches a victim he climbs on their backs and holds their necks down with his beak. So far I haven't seen any lasting damage but it looks savage to me.

Is that normal for roosters? Should I cull him or just shrug? Will the other roosters start doing it too and he's just the first to get caught? Is he just tired of the hens and looking for something fresh or what? They're all about 5 months old.

2. lotsachicks

lotsachicks Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    S. Texas
    And I thought it was only my crazy roosters who did that. I was just thinking they like bigger girls. [​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well looks like you are not alone,

i have a roo like that and i have a duck that only likes hens, a goose in love with all the roosters in rooster jail, a goat that tries to breed my donkey and one of my rabbits is in love with my nutered cat.

I guess ya can say my animals are not picky on what thay love.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, he's hormone crazed at this age, and I've heard of them going after anything from stuffed animals to someone's foot. But I find it odd that he's ONLY going after the ducks...not the pullets/hens??? I'd guess that the others probably won't have this quirk, as it sounds like a fluke, but who knows. And whether you permit this or not depends on how you view your ducks and whether damage is being done or not.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:And I thought my animals were weird! [​IMG]

6. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I don't have ducks but doesn't surprise me with a rooster.... [​IMG]

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I had a Leghorn rooster that liked my turkey more than the hens. The turkey finally said enough and showed the rooster who's boss. He has not tried that anymore with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by